Created by, and especially for, the Veteran community, as well as active duty, Guard and reserve military, families, and the general public, Secure Your Weapon is a public education campaign that reminds all to safely handle and secure weapons – just as service members must do on active duty. The program takes a step beyond that by encouraging the Veteran community to help educate the general public on safe carrying, handling, and storage of weapons.
Secure Your Weapon! The term itself is a time-honored military expression, immediately understood by anyone who has ever served. It refers to a deeply rooted military tradition: your weapon (firearm) is under your direct control or it is secured, meaning safely stored and preferably locked. In fact, it must be locked when not in use, and even triple-locked, by military standards. It is the norm, rigidly trained and always expected such that it becomes second nature and practiced without even thinking about it.
Public Education Goals
- Save lives.
- Elevate expectations. Raise weapon safety and awareness from disparate civilian approaches to the military standard that helps protect Veterans, their families, and the general community.
- Reinforce cultural norms. Secure Your Weapon reminds the Veteran: you are military, still, and always. This is your culture; you belong to it. This is our culture’s expectation for each other. Our way is to maintain weapons and ensure their security.
- Encourage mentorship. The training and experience of service members and Veterans is needed to help others develop higher standards for their habits involving weapon safety. Secure Your Weapon provides an opportunity for service members and Veterans to share what they know to educate their friends and family about these high and unwavering weapon safety standards. It also adds another level of involvement to encourage the Veteran community to share their knowledge and experience to benefit the community.
- Generate camaraderie. Secure Your Weapon seeks to bind Veterans to, rather than estrange them from, their larger community, the military and civilian community.
- Leadership Team Discussio
Hear directly from leaders in Arizona why sharing and demonstrating military weapon safety standards is critical. This discussion includes data about gun-related deaths by suicide in Arizona. Discussion includes best practice approaches to working with Veterans and identify community resources and partners for the Secure Your Weapon campaign that seeks to enlist the help of all service members and Veterans to promote proper ways to carry, transport, and store weapons. By sharing this knowledge with the community, we can help save lives.
Request a free resource kit filled with printed materials and promotional items to help share the message that military standards for weapon safety can help save lives.
Support is Available
1) Call for help: Veterans Crisis Line 800-273-8255, then press 1.
2) Text “HELLO” to 741741 for help.
3) Go with them to the nearest hospital emergency room.
Secure Your Weapon Sponsors